PREVIOUS: Character – Social I.Q.
SEE: Expanded list of Traits to choose from
💚 APPRECIATION of beauty and excellence (awe, wonder, elevation):
The ability to admire the masterful design of a person, place or thing, especially if has many levels to it, each layer with a distinct flavor & secret. Noticing & valuing the skilled performances & high quality in all areas of life – the arts & sciences, nature & everyday experiences.
• be awed by the vastness of nature & the intimate details of life • enjoy good craftsmanship • pause often to take in a view, look at the sky • understand & appreciate what goes into making anything artistic • watch people & animals in motion
💚 CITIZENSHIP (social responsibility, loyalty, teamwork):
GENERAL: be an active part of a political community, enjoying its rights & assuming duties of membership – which form a distinct sense of identity
SPECIFIC: work well as part of a group or team, are loyal to the unit, do our share, taking responsibility for our actions
• are troubled by social injustice • aware of the wider world, with a sense of our role as world citizens • respect & value diversity • willing to take actions to make the world a more equitable & sustainable place
💚 GENEROSITY (liberal in giving)
Carefully managing resources so we can freely give to those in need.
NARROW: willing to give money, time, energy, info….to help others, or in order to give them pleasure, and to give more than is expected.
BROADER: being sympathetic in how we deal with people. Tending to see the good qualities of someone or something
• give of our time and talents • not expect anything in return for our generosity • praise the good we see in others • share what we have with others • recycle
💚 GRATEFULNESS (is NOT like being indebted)
An appropriate sense of & valuing the benefits we have received – at birth, from family, from our environment. Also, a desire to repay advantages we were given.
Letting others know by words & actions how they have improved our life. Acknowledging someone for a favor they have done us. Focusing on the positives in our life
• be content with what we have • count our benefits / blessings, rather than our burdens • take care of our things • show helpful people that we appreciate them • take care of our things • write “thank you” notes
Treating all people the same, according to universal ideals of equality and justice, the same way we want to be treated. Do not make mental evaluations or decisions that unfairly favor or discriminate against others – because of incorrect or inappropriate considerations.
Act consistent with rules, logic, ethics, or in a proper legal manner. Don’t let personal feelings bias our decisions about others. Give everyone a fair chance & not take advantage
• be willing to give up our share of something for someone who has a lot less • play fair • see everyone as having equal rights • think how our actions will affect others
💚 KINDNESS / COMPASSION (amiable, nurturing, gentle)
Show consideration, personal concern or deep sympathy for others. The ability to make other people feel comfortable by our attitude of calmness. Sometimes putting our own need for attention & self-esteem second to the needs of others. Sincere sorrow for others stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering
• comforting others without regard to race, gender, faith, age, or nationality • doing a good deed for strangers • listening when others want to talk • looking for lasting solutions • not annoying or irritating people • showing good manners
NEXT: C for HUMANITY, #2