I JUST KNOW IT –
but I don’t have any proof
PREVIOUS: MIND-READING – 1b
Review Mind-reading, 1a
DEF: INTUITION = It’s like overhearing a conversation in a language we’re not fluent in but can still get the gist of what’s said. It’s the ability to maneuver within beliefs & knowledge, giving a relative awareness of where we are on the map of life
PS: Inspiration is seeing the whole path we need to travel on the map
Intuition is complex – mostly it’s being tuned-in to the world around us – & beyond – picking up info without any obvious source
For some it’s a gut feeling
For others it’s the universe giving them a gentle nudge
For still others it’s the answer to a prayer or a whisper from God
Intuition is an innate survival tool, a compass & a tether connecting us to our environment. It doesn’t have to be supernatural – it is most often a subliminal accumulation of what others are saying, feeling or doing (their T.E.As) & storing it for future reference (see pt. d)
SO – Intuition is in us & comes from us, but is about everything outside of us – the opposite of Mind Reading.
✶ When cultivated, it bypasses or counters certain of our ACoA damage!
a. In the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory (MBTI), the second of 4 levels is Sensate vs Intuitive, which has to do with one’s style of gathering information about the world, & making decisions based on it.
• At one extreme are the Sensates (S) who need proof of everything, literal & practical. They prefer hands-on, here-&-now tangible experiences, only believing what they can see & touch. They are about 70% of the US population & are considered ‘hard-nosed’ by their opposites
• At the other end are the Intuitives (N) who ‘just know’ – they look for meaning, possibilities & relationships among things (the gestalt). They like to put things in a theoretical framework, looking at things holistically, seeking the big picture. They comprise about 30% & are considered ‘flakes’ by the S. (See all 4 levels)
✶ Most people don’t live at the extreme ends of this level (S vs N). But when 2 people in any kind of relationship DO, it is one of the most difficult discrepancies of the 4 levels to overcome.
They never really ‘get’ each other. It’s especially hard when an extreme S mother has a very N child – she’ll likely negate the child’s way of understanding its environment, making the child doubt its perceptions, even its sanity – especially if the mother is also a narcissist
b. As Children
• From birth, kids have a capacity for seeing & sensing things that many adults are unaware of. This is an important instinct for them, since they’re so vulnerable & don’t yet have language. Infants mirror what we present to them, especially our emotions
EXP: When a mother takes a slow, deep breath each time she feels tension, either in herself or the infant, it teaches the baby to do the same. She’s creating & reinforcing the state of anxiety – without ever saying a word!
• Equally so, children who comfortably spend time contemplating & exploring their thoughts & feelings, without interference, will develop self-awareness & the intuitive abilities that come from this inner knowledge
• The absorption capacity of intuition, so highly developed in kids, allows us to assimilate our parents’ inner feelings as much as their overt messages. The combination becomes the Introject – which is only negative if our parents were mentally &/or emotionally damaged
Exp: A friend remembers one evening when she was 6 or 7, sitting with her dad in the living room while he was reading the paper. For no apparent reason she asked him who Lydia was. He looked at her puzzled but didn’t answer. Many years later she found out that he was having an affair with a Lydia back then, but at that time no one in the family knew about it. What had she been ‘picking up’ on? – A smell? his guilt? his residual pleasure?
NEXT: INTUITION – 2b