HOW DO I FEEL ABOUT YOU?
I’m thinking, I’m thinking!
PREVIOUS: Infatuation, Sexual…..
See ACRONYM page for abbrev.
POST: FRIENDS Inventory
TO LIKE OR NOT TO LIKE, that is the question 🙂
ACoAs are often confused about their thoughts & emotions regarding others.
• were DIScouraged from knowing needs, preferences, dislikes
• & now are not allowed to have them even if we do know
• are more worried about how others feel about us – if they’ll approve or be angry at us, which leave us….
• in conflict between the damaged (WIC) & our developing Recovery (UNIT) voices
BESIDES being given distorted thinking, ACoAs grow up with little or no information about what ‘normal’ is, to help us figure out what’s going on in our head & with others.
These 2 posts list 60 questions to find out about your thoughts & emotions:
• regarding a new romance or marriage partner – OR
• review how you feel now about someone you’ve been in relationship with for a while (even yrs) but may be wondering how to evaluate it
Taken from “The Love Test” book by Harold Bessell, PhD, 1984
• The quiz is measures the degree of excitement about a specific person, & your desire for a permanent intimate relationship – sexual, mental, emotional & spiritual – with them. The focus is on the person-to-person factor, not sexual interest
• Research suggests that 6 out of 7x, a strong romantic attraction can dissipate within 3-4 months. If the desires remains after that rime, with enough contact it will likely continue for many years
• The 4 month rule doesn’t apply if there is physical distance, a fantasy connection (letters, email…) or an attraction to someone who’s not truly available. An interest in this type of lover will usually dissipate in a few days if you spend face-to-face time with the real person
• Also, when someone has a ‘fear of intimacy’, living together or getting married may actually trigger withdrawing affection & sexual closeness. This disruption of the bond with a loved one is not from lack of compatibility but rather a person’s unresolved ifear of intimacy
• When taking the test, you will get the best results if you are NOT too tired, depressed, angry, sad, frightened or overwhelmed. If any of these emotions persist, take the test several times & see if there is a combined average
• There are no wrong answers – only your honest evaluation.
INVENTORY info in Part 2 (Qs, 31-60)
➼ Print out Part 1 & 2. Put a check mark in the column which best fits your responses about a specific person: _____________ (🧡)
NOTE: Evaluate previous partners & compare. Look for a pattern of qualities missing in any of them. Is that a coincidence?
👀 You may be able to use some of these Qs to evaluate a family member, friends, a mentor…. leaving out the romance / sex part.
🌹 Be gentle on yourself at all times, but especially if you’re a “survivor”.
NEXT : Questionnaire 31-60
One thought on “ROMANTIC ATTRACTION – Qs (Part 1)”
Thanks for your work! Check out my Pairing Today: http://www.pairingtoday.com Perhaps we can join up and you can help me establish my upcoming matching and personal development site, Pairing For Life. Give me email if you get this and are interested. Jack