PREVIOUS: Process – Recovery – #2
WATCH: On YouTube – TA, Ego-states 1, 2 & 3
SITEs: ‘EgoGrams‘ in couples counseling
“EgoGrams” – Graphs of Professions Using the 5 ego states
EGO STATES: “The hypothesis that there are several different, coherent functions of the ego that find a parallel in brain structures is shown in the findings of neuro-anatomists & evolutionary psychologists, who refer to them as ‘mind modules’.
Mind modules are structures that specialize in certain functions such as attachment, emotions, empathy, language, movement….. Research has presented a great deal of corroborative material, especially where the are 3 major mind modules parallel the 3 ego states.
One ego state – the rational Adult – is a well-validated function that can be found in the human prefrontal lobe” (MORE….)
AT OUR BEST
The Intelligent Heart (IH) schematic 🔽, developed by Dr. Frohlich, combines models by Freud, Jung & Berne, shows the underlying energy flows similar to parts of NLP.
Included are our spiritual underpinnings, the essential energetic element in all forms of communication. This is based on solid research data showing the psychological & neuro-physiological effects, given a spiritual perspective. (MORE…..)
HANDS: represent the neurological functions of each side of the brain
Right hemisphere – corresponds to the left side of the body, provides the imagery, musical & artistic capacity.
ALSO higher consciousness & actual experienced spirituality
Left – in charge of right side, provides structured & analytical thought processes, ie. mental concepts (the dogma).
1. Universal Wisdom of Love
The personal experience of connecting to a Higher Power / Spiritual Source, separate from or part of a Religion. The spiritual realm is the overall framework of life, uniting all things in the universe, putting our personal experiences in a bigger context, which allows us to broaden or change our perspective
#1 CONNECTS TO:
2a. Nurturing Parent (NP) – “Mother-Father energy channel“: internalized positive parental messages (good Introjects), including those from other healthy source figures (other relatives, teachers, neighbors). It provides nurturing to self & others, based on reality check from RA ↓. “I can put myself in someone’s else’s shoes, while recognizing our differences”
#1 & 2 CONNECTS TO:
3a. The Inner Child (IC) – authentic Self – the essential Being within every person (regardless of one’s age) – our intuition (requires constant reality check to not turn into paranoid fantasies). HAS:
• a life affirming attitude towards self & others – exploring otherness
• can sense the difference between love & hate
• the capacity for authentic Es like joy, anger, sadness, fear, curiosity or surprise
• a fascination for whatever life has to offer
• aims to experience things rather than follow others’ thoughts & rules
#1 also CONNECTS to:
4. Rational Adult (RA) – the capacity for logical thinking & decision-making, being in the now & cooperation with others. Makes reality checks, knows when things make sense – or not, assumes available resources are for everyone’s benefit, & knows that together, people can achieve better results
✦ Responsible for interfacing with the world to get our needs met AND interfering with the PP’s connection to the AP ↓
2b. Pig Parent (PP) – The Negative Introject, not always overt or verbalized. It’s OUR:
• persecuting, fear-based attitudes “You’ll never find a husband, you’re not pretty enough, you’re just like your mom… Men are all the same”.
• culturally informed prejudices, in-group / out-group thinking:”I have to be IN to belong”
• perceived / assumed need to assert power over others
3b. The Adapted Persona (AP) – Conforming to actual or perceived reality, as an emotional survival mechanism.
• If healthy, it allows us to be ‘well-behaved’
• If unhealthy (victim) it makes us rationalize traumatic experiences or our role in them, which can impair a realistic appraisal of situations.
• It carries the conditioned responses to internalized negative parental messages: “If I sacrifice myself I will be well liked. When I stay cute (childlike), I won’t be held responsible for my actions….”
NEXT: Ego States – Basics – #1