THE MORE I KNOW
the better I can communicate
PREVIOUS: Language Intro – #1
GRAMMAR has two overlapping meanings:
1. Everything about how a language works, including syntax as a subset (correct order of words in sentences in order to make complete sense)
2. How words are inflected, conjugated, declined according to aspect, degree, gender, mood, number, person, tense (11 Rules of Grammar)
◆ Word Power affects our role in society, so a limited vocabulary can limit potential opportunities. Learning about & using the concepts inherent in grammar, with their connection to Number, makes it easier to make Sense for ourselves. Behind-the-scenes knowledge can help us grow & prosper by making better choices in a world of confusion & risks.
EXP: Using the CHART – For dialogue to go smoothly, with co-operation, one needs to use one of the 3 verbs, two of the 6 verbal persons (gender, person) & three of the 9 verbal forms (time, mode, voice).
If we exclude a category in a communication, or take a category as part of the information (such as Marxist dialectic = the dogma that everything is thesis, anti-thesis & synthesis), then we destroy dialogue & create dispute.
◆ Here were given the Parts of Speech as a tool for growth. Included are key words of each grammatical form, which are related to the Thinking (level 2) function.
Each position is a numerical Fractal (having the property of self-similarity), considered the hidden order of Universal Truth. They are seen as similar but not identical concepts, the repetition of a basic subject applied to different areas of knowledge.
Ennea MEANING & USE of Grammar components:
1. Conjunction – synthesis, for unification & healing.
USE : (and, or) allows us to make connections, tying words or ideas together. It represents Inclusion (and) & Exclusion (or)
2. Noun – basic drive to creativity & production, to reach physical realization of ideas.
USE : (singular, plural, name, concept) allowing us to make generalizations from the particular
3. Verb – pertains to understanding, in relation to abstract concepts.
USE : represents awareness of things happening in time, a dynamic process of past, present & future
4. Preposition – symbolizes imagination, the need to fantasize & dream.
USE : the mental/internal image of the personal relationship between oneself & other people, things or ideas
5. Adjective – pertains to analysis, to distinguish one from another.
USE : precisely describes or qualifies the noun. This relates to & allows for refinement of understanding
6. Verbal Persons – stands for the drive to communicate, to explain, to relate to & with other people, to improve Self & others.
USE : (the subject) is the ability to make statements, by personalizing a time event or action
7. Pronoun – pertains to initiative, to fight & start something new.
USE : places nouns in relationship, establishing & modifying them
8. Adverb – pertains to organization, responsibility & duty; to assume responsibility for some social situation or group, a problem or opportunity, & organize or direct it until conclusion.
USE : modifies the verb, explains it through 8 questions that show its circumstances (where, when, how….)
9. Verbal Forms – pertains to the impulse to orchestrate, to plan, to invent, to engineer & actualize, based understanding what’s possible.
USE : place an action into perspective, like a plan (active, indicative, subjunctive) (MORE…. scroll way down)
(Technical parts of each… scroll down to ‘Quality’)
NOTE: The number positions in this chart are in reverse order, to correctly align with ancient Number systems which reflect the dynamics of the Earth’s counter-clockwise daily rotation on its axis – if North is considered the ‘top’ or vantage point, which it usually is.
However, the Enneagram follows a tradition based on the invention of clocks (which was in the Northern hemisphere), copying the sun’s clock-wise shadow on sundials. We see the sun that way in relation to Earth’s anti-clockwise rotation – if we look down at the North Pole from space. (More…. slide #4)
◆ Our personal number system is a description of THE creative process – played out in cycles of the day, year & precession of the equinoxes.
Looking from above a galaxy or hurricane’s counterclockwise swirl, we can superimpose the #6.
The form of the 6 also describes looping backwards on ourselves – the limitations of our mental consciousness which effects our creative process.
See: Spiral Dynamics, Sept 2009
NEXT: Language Intro – #3