SHUT UP IN THERE!
I don’t know how to get rid of you
PREVIOUS: Introject, Bad Voice (Part 1)
See ACRONYM page for abbrev.
A Healthy Self would include the Natural Child as our essence, & a relatively un-wounded Adapted Child, composed of the positive values, mores & beliefs of its specific society. Eventually well-adjusted people also form a Healthy Adult & Loving Patent ‘UNIT learned from a family with self-esteem, generosity, competence, humor, social ease & love.
• ADULT may or may not be functional – some of us put all our energy into being ‘competent’ while others barely get by, waiting for someone else to be the Good Parent for us.
• PP (the ‘IT’) holds all of the dysfunctional family’s accumulated minuses, along with some plusses, & secretly runs our life
• Adapted Child holds all of our damage, from trying to Do or Be whatever we thought would finally get our parents’ approval & acceptance – but never did
EXP: If you liked & were good at sports AND they (only) approved of you for that, you’d put all your energy into being the best at sports – not just to express yourself, but to wring a drop of acceptance from them. Anything else, like needs & emotions, were sacrificed
• Natural Child is mostly hidden, yet peeps out in spite of the PP
EXP: being good in school, winning awards, love of music, reading, sports, being quiet vs, being boisterous…. AND even our choice of addictions reflect our natural personality. Why do some people choose sex over a food addiction, pot over alcohol, addictive relationships rather than chemicals….?
What ALL ACoAs are MISSING:
• The Loving Parent, because we didn’t have any role models for that, OR if we did have one person in our childhood that treated us better than others, it couldn’t make up for the avalanche of bad parenting from everyone else
PRISONERS of the Negative Introject (PP)
Until we do FoO work, too much of our persona is the result of the harmful way our family trained us. Unfortunately, this False Self is what we consider our identity. We say “I’m just born that way , It’s my personality…” when talking about our character defects. We don’t see hay they’re expressions of S-H, since we aren’t allowed to acknowledge our inherent gifts & talents
• Without S & I, (separation & individuation) we’re ‘one’ with the had voice – constantly placating & obeying it, without knowing that’s what we’re doing. After all, “Does a fish know it’s wet?”
As kids we were afraid of them – of displeasing them, of their temper & craziness, of being punished, which was usually unfairly & over the top
• And we’re still afraid of them, if they’re alive, OR if they’re only in the form of our Introject. Even if they’re gone – it doesn’t diminish the power of their imprinting.
As adults, in spite of our rage & frustration at their unavailability & abusiveness, we’re afraid to let go of the PP. Altho the voice is always torturing us, the WIC is so used to the connection it doesn’t know any other way to ‘get taken care of’. This holds true until we take on the responsibility of parenting ourselves.
• This desperate attachment is based on:
— our longing for them, & not wanting to give up the illusion that someday they’ll come thru for us
— not having a solid identity of our own. As long as our S-H is strong we continue to believe no one else will want us, so better to stay “with the devil we know”
If we believe we can’t leave the PP or get rid of it, we spend a lot of our energy trying to silence it with addictions, while at the same time making inhuman efforts to get it to stop hurting us, to see reason, to understand… rather than getting away by disobeying its Toxic Rules!
NEXT: Negative Introject (Part 4)