LOVE vs FEAR
I don’t know what love is, so how can I tell?
PREVIOUS: How ACoAs Abandon Others #3b
REVIEW: ACRONYM page for abbrev.
WHAT DOES this quote MEAN?
• Like so many popular ‘spiritual’ saying there’s some truth in it, but not the whole story, so we can easily get confused & also misuse it. Love & Fear are both Emotions, see. T.E.A.
Generally, it means that if we did have enough love in our life, we won’t be afraid = loved by a Higher Power, by family, by pets, by friends… Yes, these are to be desired & cultivated.
BUT the reality for ACoAs is that we are fear-based, no matter how much recovery we may have. There are 2 separate issues re. this quote:
1. Fear is created in CHILDHOOD by genuinely being in danger!
• As kids, ACoAs lived in an atmosphere of constant trauma, subjected to fear-inducing experiences (mental, physical & emotional) practically every day of our childhood.
AND there was very little comfort or validation of our reality. On the contrary, if we told anyone or complained, they said we were over-reacting, making it up, being disloyal, AND it was our fault “What did you do?” Even if anyone believed us, they didn’t / couldn’t help, so we had to suck it up.
EXP: A lot of our childhood was like being:
— a 5 yrs old, dropped off in the middle of a huge traffic intersection at rush hour, left there in our underwear, told to not whine & ‘JUST COPE’ !! How cruel !
All that pain & terror got pushed down, so where did it go? Yes, in large part, psychologically, it went into the unconscious. But physically – the chemicals generated by terror & other painful emotions got stored in our body – in our organs, our muscles, choking our aura, meridians & chakras.
2. Fear is created NOW by outer events & inner thoughts
a. Present-day reality. There are many real-world stressful events we may be faced with in life requiring a clear mind, much human help & Spiritual support. .
It’s normal to be fearful when WE:
• or someone we love is in danger (a child, a pet …)
• loose something very important to us (apartment burning down…. )
• are overwhelmed by too many things needing our attention
• have a lot of emotional turmoil (visiting family, getting married or divorced…)
• find out we’re very sick, & sometimes – don’t know the cause… or we hear about traumatic world events ….
BUT for ACoAs, such events can easily trigger the pain of past trauma, and push us over the limits of our scarce reserves. So our emotional reaction will be much bigger than that of less wounded people.
b. Toxic Thinking. Fear will always be generated by harmful thoughts – our inner world of beliefs based on negative family rules (CDs) – the harsh, scary things we tell ourselves, creating more terror on top of what we’re already carrying from our past. Terror & S-H are behind ALL rage and ALL obsessions.
• worry about future catastrophes & abandonments, which may never happen & which we have no control over
• project only painful outcomes to situations & relationships
• assume others will react to us the same way we think about ourselves – badly !
• are so used to things not working out, & having anxiety as our constant companion, that we create mental drama when it’s not called for…
• believe we’re “dying of cancer” when we’re not seriously sick (especially when not feeling well but don’t know what’s wrong)
• are convinced someone’s angry at us or can’t stand us, because they didn’t say hello or give us a compliment …..
Daily childhood abuse & neglect (unprocessed) accumulate in deep reservoirs of hidden pain, which most people call anxiety, because on the surface it doesn’t seem to be connected to anything obvious. HA ! As long as this backlog remains frozen, the pain:
a. drives much of our behavior, our thinking & our interactions with others
b. causes physical & psychological ailments ….
… but in Recovery, much release work can be done, which definitely helps! We can get to a place where we live more in a state of calmness rather than upset. There will always be some residual ‘old’ fear that shows up thru the years when we’re under stress – never completely rid of all the original abandonment terror. This should not be a surprise, since there was so much of it. We need to be extra kind to ourselves.: “Feel the fear & keep going”, but softly, softly.
“Fear is the absence of Love” is a combination of:
— not the not having loving safe parent, originally,
— the scary thoughts which torture us
— not searching out people who can be good to us, &
— not believing that there’s any safety in the world – for us !
HOWEVER when we practice nurturing our Inner Child, connecting with the peace of a loving H.P. & with healthier people, our overall fear level diminishes, especially the unnecessary suffering we’ve been add to the ‘pile’.
➼ We can’t always control or eliminate old fear, but we can be in better charge of that we THINK & what we DO about it.
NEXT: Not Enough Love? – #1